Today I waited to do school with Miriam until the younger 3 kids were napping. She was scheduled to learn two new concepts today, and I thought she might need quite a bit of my undivided attention in order to do her work.
First she began her Growing With Grammar page. She learned about synonyms and antonyms last week; today she was to begin learning about homonyms. Not only did the definition of homonyms make sense to her immediately, but she also knew the exact meaning of all but one set of the 12 homonyms she was introduced to today. I was amazed that just through her reading she knew the difference between mail/male, one/won, pair/pear, flower/flour, heal/heel, weak/week, sea/see, etc. I really expected to go over the pairs of words with her several times so that she'd understand the differences!
Next she moved on to math; today was her first day "renaming" in her Bob Jones Math workbook. (Renaming is the same as 'carrying'). She's been 'renaming' using her abacus and other Rightstart manipulatives for quite some time, but I thought that seeing the problems on paper and being taught to write the little 1 above the tens spot would be a difficult concept. Nope. I showed her with base 10 blocks and worked one problem while talking her through the steps as an example. She looked right at me and said, "Okay, Mom, that makes sense." And off she went, not one mistake on her paper!
WOW! I think she just might be the smartest kindergartner ever (not that I'm biased or anything!)
Friday, May 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
that's awesome :)
she's defintely a smart cookie.
Post a Comment