Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School

Today was our first day of school for the year. Miriam decided to wear her dance leotard for her school day- I guess that's a perk of homeschooling! The girls could not wait to finish breakfast and get started; by the time I had breakfast dishes cleaned up they were already sitting in the playroom in front of the calendar board waiting for me.

Miriam memorized our Bible verse, Genesis 1:1, for the week yesterday when I was setting up the calendar. What a memory she has, it's supposed to take a week to learn that verse and she learned it on Sunday before we even started our week!

We are doing a program called Galloping the Globe this year as our main curriculum. This week we are concentrating on an introduction to geography, maps, and globes. Today we read a book called Maps and Globes and spent time looking a various maps. The blow up beach ball globe was a big hit, I doubt it will make it through the year in one piece if the children continue playing with it so roughly!

After our circle and calendar time we moved to the table for our book work. The girls drew self portraits; I hope to do this assignment on the first day of every year to keep a record of how their skills grow each year. Miriam is working on reading using Explode the Code. She's working on words with short "a" sounds, though she seems to be able to read just about any 3 letter word. She's working on math using Singapore Earlybird 2a. Today she completed lesson 1 practicing counting and writing numbers to 5. Again this seems really below her level, I think we'll be moving through this book pretty quickly. Rebekah is using various workbooks for fine motor skills. She spent her table time today cutting and tracing, until she got bored and went to play with toys. Michael wanted to be in the middle of it all. He did some coloring and played with our math counters at my seat at the table while I helped the girls.


No comments: