Friday, January 9, 2009

Weekly Report 1/7 - 1/9

Week 15
Our first week back was only a half week; Wed-Friday. The kids and I were all refreshed from a break and ready to get started!

Reading
Miriam finished lesson 4 in Explode the Code 3 and lessons 74-77 in The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. Miriam is still reading everything she can get her hands on. She got many new books from her Great Aunts for Christmas and several from Santa that she is proudly reading. She loves Danny the Dinosaur, Stanley, and Morris the Moose. She's also reading several new Usborne books and many of the fiction and nonfiction "I'm Reading" books from Starfall . I love that I catch her laughing out loud as she reads the books all by herself- I love that she enjoys reading so much and is beginning to really get the humor and content in books that she can read independently.
This week we started reading Stuart Little aloud- Miriam thinks he's quite funny. We just finished chapter 6. Rebekah is not very interested in Stuart, but Michael seems to enjoy sitting with us while we read.
Math
This week we began addition in Singapore 1A; Miriam completed exercises 1-3 in Lesson 3. Miriam loves making up addition stories. The first few days we reviewed some RightStart concepts with the manipulatives and today completed lesson 27.

Handwriting
Miriam started A Reason for Handwriting A this week. She is not happy that her book no longer has an animal to color everyday. She is looking forward to illustrating her Bible verses, but wants to color everyday.

Bible
This week we finished talking about King Solomon and also talked about Elijah. Miriam finished memorizing part of the Christmas story Luke 2 :8-12
Preschool
Rebekah was also very happy to be back to school this week. She wanted to work the whole time Miriam was working. She did lots of cutting and pasting and tracing this week. Her motor skills improved quite a bit during the break. She is now able to write her own name from memory, though she rarely writes it in a straight line. She's also recognizing most letters and numbers very consistently. I think she's ready to begin Singapore Earlybird and ETC, but we are going to try to hold off until after baby Peyton arrives, as I don't want to get her started and then take an extended break.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! I haven't visited here before (I don't think) but I'd like to come back as you have littles and are using a lot of stuff that I have been researching.

Have a great weekend!

~Monica @ WTM

Lori C., Texas said...

Sounds like fun. We just started A Reason for Handwriting, too.