Friday, January 15, 2010

Weeks 16-18

Weeks 16-18

We've had a wonderful and busy month and a half! We did school when we could and spent lots of time visiting with our family, playing, and celebrating Christmas.

Life in the Woods
We finished up Life in the Desert and moved on to our Life in the Woods unit. We are loving this unit! I'm so glad to be reading about nice, fuzzy, cute animals instead of slimy, creepy crawlies! We are still working on reading Ginger Pye aloud. We took a trip to the Nature Museum (and plan to go again next week.)

Language Arts
Miriam is currently reading In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen: such a sweet book! She finished book 5 and moved on to book 6 of Explode the Code. She's finished through lesson 4 in ETC 6. She has completed through step 9 in All About Spelling. She is over halfway through Growing with Grammar 1; currently she is working on verbs. She has completed sections on past and present tense, plural and singular verbs and is now working on linking verbs. Miriam began Writeshop Primary A writing program and is already on lesson 8! She loves writing and begs to do it everyday. She has also started learning cursive.
Rebekah is on lesson 6 in Explode the Code 1. We've started The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading again, but are currently reviewing old lessons to refresh her memory. She is enjoying reading aloud many Bob books and has also read two books from the Starlight readers.

Math
Miriam took her mid-year test for RightStart B this week! She has also started doing a Bob Jones University Press 1st grade workbook. Currently she's reviewing simple subtraction and addition in that book.
Rebekah is on chapter 6 in her BJUP K book. Her favorite chapter in the last few weeks was on measuring.

Bible
We are on lesson 11 in our Bible curriculum. We've enjoyed talking about Jesus growing up and choosing his disciples.

2 comments:

Tonia said...

Looks like a very good week. Do you find that RightStart and BJU combine well?

Amanda said...

I'm not sure if BJU and Rightstart is a great combo. The order BJU teaches is quite different than Rightstart, however since we just picked up BJU over halfway through the year Miriam is ahead and able to just work straight through the workbook. So far everything has been very very easy for her. I'm planning on switching to BJU 2 next year and thought it would be a good idea to get her used to the workook format after doing Rightstart A and B to make the transition easier next year. I have loved Rightstart for us, but I haven't liked what I read about Rightstart C. I'm also ready for her to use a more traditional textbook method now that she has a good grasp on the basics. I wanted to pick something we can use from now until graduation to avoid learning gaps, so I went with BJU.