Saturday, February 13, 2010

Discovery Place Museum

We had such a fun day at the science museum last week. We enjoyed a presentation on "glowing things" and learned all about different types of light. Michael even got to help with the presentation by helping to put a scorpion under a black light to find out that it glows! I especially loved the area about the power of air. We were able to use air to sail boats, knock over towers of cups, and to float balls. The children loved all the kid powered areas such as raising themselves with pulleys and bouncing balls all the way to the ceiling.
The entire time we were at the museum I was thinking of how many of the exhibits line up with Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding which I am planning to use as our science curriculum for the next year or two. I foresee a monthly trip to Discovery Place to concentrate on the exhibits that demonstrate the topics we learned about during that month. I think it's time for me to learn more about making a science notebook so that we can notebook the experiments we do at Discovery Place!
I put more pictures of our trip on our family blog. If you'd like to see them go here.

1 comment:

Alycia in Va. said...

Sounds like a fun place. We have one here in Virginia, but we've never been. I like the first photo, and am assuming there was no pain involved :)