Week 10
We had another fun week concentrating on the basics. I'm so glad the elections are over so that we can visit the library again! We also had a lot of fun this week getting into the Holiday spirit! Our local radio station played Christmas music Halloween weekend. The children thought it was wonderful, so we spent a lot of time this week baking and eating Christmas cookies! Miriam said it was a special week since we got to cook during school time. (She considers anything done before lunch to be "school")
Reading
Miriam has been carrying Go Dog Go and Hop on Pop around the house all week reading. She's so excited to be reading real books! I've got to get some more easy readers while we are at the library tomorrow. She completed lessons 59 and 60 in The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. Lessons in that book are getting longer with many more sentences so we've started doing just one page a day even if the lesson is more than one page long. She also finished lesson 9 and started lesson 10 in Explode the Code book 2.
Math
Miriam worked on telling time to the hour in Singapore Math- we skipped the half hour portion of the book. I don't want to teach her "half past." We're working on telling time in everyday situations, and will be learning to say the time as 8:30, 8:15 before learning half past, and quarter past. I think the Singapore wording is just too confusing for a child that does not yet have a grasp on either fractions or telling time- one skill at a time!!
Miriam also worked on the days of the week in Singapore Math. She already knows the order and how to read the words, so it was a fun review for her.
Both girls did lessons 17 and 18 in RightStart Math this week. Miriam worked hard on learning about 10s while Rebekah had fun entering numbers on the abacus. They both were able to grasp the concept of equilateral triangles! They had so much fun playing with the cut out triangles and making other shapes and patterns using the triangles.
They also spent a lot of time playing with our various math manipulatives this week. Rebekah did patterning and grouping work with the bears with the help of Miriam. It is great fun to watch them work together to figure out the answers. Seeing them learning together and helping each other has been one of the most rewarding things I've experienced as a parent and teacher.
Bible
Miriam only has one sentence left in memorizing Psalm 23! Rebekah has successfully learned the first 3 verses as well! Many afternoons I've caught the girls sitting in front of the bulletin board and heard Miriam coaching Rebekah to say her verses.We read about Samson, Ruth, and Samuel during our Bible story time this week.

3 comments:
What a wonderful week you had! I love that you are already getting into the holiday spirit, I've already felt that way too.
It is wonderful that they have both nearly memorized Ps.23. I love for my children to memorize scripture.
I'm glad for you that you could visit your library again-that must have been frustrating.
Great week! The holidays are just around the corner. Good for you getting ready so soon.
It's so exciting when the reading takes off! Such fun at this age! :0)
Post a Comment