Our new math program arrived in the mail today! We're going to try RightStart Math. It should be similar to Singapore in its valuing learning math in an Asian way, but uses more manipulatives and less worksheets. Each lesson should take us about 30 minutes to complete, and it's meant to be done every day.
Miriam will be completing her Singapore Earlybird 2A book this week. It should have lasted us until the middle of Kindergarten, yet here she is turning 5 on Friday and halfway through Kindergarten math! We've only been doing school for 5 weeks and she's done 20 lessons in math! She just loves math and seems mathematically inclined. I found her today lining up her Keva planks in groups, when I asked her what she was up to she replied, "Mommy look 7 and 7 make 14! And if I take one away from each group 6 and 6 make 12..." and she went on and on!
I've been trying to spread out Singapore, but she gets upset if she can't do math everyday. I've tried doing only one or two pages a day, but she begs to keep going. I've tried adding in manipulatives and other activities, but still she's ready for the new concepts!
Hopefully Rightstart will keep her busy and engaged for a longer period of time each day, and go more in depth into the concepts that I feel Singapore is skimming a bit. We will still be using Singapore as supplement as well.
I'm excited to sit down with the teacher's manual this weekend and start doing lessons with Miriam on Monday.
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment